Shire of Leigh
|Shire of Leigh|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||2.383/km2 (6.172/sq mi)|
|Area||982 km2 (379.2 sq mi)|
The Shire of Leigh was a local government area about 140 kilometres (87 mi) west of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 982 square kilometres (379.2 sq mi), and existed from 1861 until 1994.
Leigh was incorporated as a road district on 27 August 1861, and became a shire on 22 March 1864.
The Shire of Leigh was divided into three ridings in May 1965, each of which elected three councillors:
- East Riding
- Middle Riding
- West Riding
Towns and localities
* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.