Shire of Woorayl
|Shire of Woorayl|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||9.657/km2 (25.010/sq mi)|
|Area||1,245.79 km2 (481.0 sq mi)|
The Shire of Woorayl was a local government area about 130 kilometres (81 mi) southeast of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 1,245.79 square kilometres (481.0 sq mi), and existed from 1888 until 1994.
Initially part of the Shire of Narracan, Woorayl was first incorporated as a shire on 25 May 1888. It annexed the South riding of the Shire of Alberton on 14 March 1890, and the Mirboo riding of the Shire of Traralgon on 1 May 1891. Over the next 20 years, various boundary changes occurred between Woorayl, Korumburra, Narracan and South Gippsland
On 2 December 1994, the Shire was abolished, and merged with Shire of Mirboo, Shire of South Gippsland and most of Shire of Korumburra into the South Gippsland Shire. The area around Inverloch was moved into the new Bass Coast Shire
Woorayl was divided into four ridings in May 1975, each of which elected three councillors:
- North Riding
- Central Riding
- West Riding
- South Riding
Towns and localities
- Leongatha South
- Mount Eccles
- Tarwin Lower
- Venus Bay
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 896–898. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994–1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 4,11. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 5 January 2008.