Shire of Buninyong
|Shire of Buninyong|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||16.253/km2 (42.094/sq mi)|
|Area||785.1 km2 (303.1 sq mi)|
The Shire of Buninyong was a local government area south and southeast of the regional city of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 785.1 square kilometres (303.1 sq mi), and existed from 1858 until 1994.
Buninyong was first incorporated as a road district on 9 July 1858, and became a shire on 18 February 1864. On 1 October 1915, it absorbed the Borough of Buninyong, which had been created on 15 July 1859.
On 6 May 1994, the Shire of Buninyong was abolished, and was split between the newly created City of Ballarat and Shire of Moorabool. A small section near Grenville was transferred to the newly created Golden Plains Shire.
The Shire of Buninyong was divided into three ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Centre Riding
- West Riding
- Northeast Riding
Towns and localities
- Cambrian Hill
- Durham Lead
- Lal Lal
- Mount Clear
- Mount Helen
* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.