Shire of Gisborne
|Shire of Gisborne|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||37.275/km2 (96.54/sq mi)|
|Area||277.13 km2 (107.0 sq mi)|
The Shire of Gisborne was a local government area about 55 kilometres (34 mi) northwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 277.13 square kilometres (107.0 sq mi), and existed from 1860 until 1995.
Gisborne was first incorporated as a road district on 9 November 1860, and became a shire on 24 February 1871.
On 19 January 1995, the Shire of Gisborne was abolished, and, along with the Shires of Newham and Woodend and Romsey, and parts of the Shire of Kyneton, was merged into the newly created Shire of Macedon Ranges.
The Shire of Gisborne was divided into three ridings on 30 August 1961, each of which elected three councillors:
- Gisborne Riding
- Bullengarook Riding
- Macedon Riding
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 679–680. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 8. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.