Shire of Maldon
|Shire of Maldon|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||5.65/km2 (14.62/sq mi)|
|Area||549 km2 (212.0 sq mi)|
The Shire of Maldon was a local government area about 140 kilometres (87 mi) northwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia, and 35 kilometres (22 mi) southwest of the regional city of Bendigo. The shire covered an area of 549 square kilometres (212.0 sq mi), and existed from 1858 until 1995.
Maldon was first incorporated as a municipality on 6 August 1858, then as a road district on 2 September 1863. It was proclaimed a shire on 12 January 1864.
The Shire of Maldon was divided into three ridings on 1 April 1988, each of which elected three councillors:
- Gowar Riding
- Nuggetty Riding
- Tarrengower Riding
Towns and localities
- Cair Curran
- Porcupine Flat
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 751–752. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 10. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.