Shire of Alberton
|Shire of Alberton|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||3.4407/km2 (8.911/sq mi)|
|Area||1,868.83 km2 (721.6 sq mi)|
The Shire of Alberton was a local government area about 220 kilometres (137 mi) southeast of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 1,868.83 square kilometres (721.6 sq mi), and existed from 1855 until 1994.
Alberton was first incorporated as a road district on 6 November 1855, one of the first ten in the colony, and became a shire on 2 February 1864. On 16 February 1894, part of the shire was excised, to become the Shire of South Gippsland. On 20 May 1914, it lost part of its North Riding to the Shire of Rosedale.
On 2 December 1994, the Shire of Alberton was abolished, and, along with the City of Sale, the Shires of Avon and Maffra and parts of the Shire of Rosedale, was merged into the newly created Shire of Wellington.
The Shire of Alberton was divided into three ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- South Riding
- Central Riding
- North Riding
Towns and localities
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 558–559. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 12. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.