Shire of Bacchus Marsh
|Shire of Bacchus Marsh|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||22.283/km2 (57.71/sq mi)|
|Area||565 km2 (218.1 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Bacchus Marsh|
The Shire of Bacchus Marsh was a local government area about 50 kilometres (31 mi) west of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 565 square kilometres (218.1 sq mi), and existed from 1862 until 1994.
Bacchus Marsh was first incorporated as a road district on 14 October 1862, and became a shire on 23 January 1871. On 15 March 1911, it annexed part of the Lara Riding of the Shire of Corio, and on 5 February 1921, part of the shire was annexed to the Shire of Kyneton.
On 15 December 1994, the Shire of Bacchus Marsh was abolished, and, along with the Shire of Ballan, was merged into the Shire of Moorabool, which was created earlier in May 1994 after the merger of the Shire of Bungaree and parts of the Shire of Buninyong.
The Shire of Bacchus Marsh was divided into four ridings in 1975, each of which elected three councillors:
- Bacchus Riding
- Coimadai Riding
- Parwan Riding
- Pentland Riding
Towns and localities
* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. p. 576. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 9. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.