Shire of Romsey
|Shire of Romsey|
Location in Victoria
Former Shire of Romsey Council Chambers
|• Density||13.296/km2 (34.44/sq mi)|
|Area||628 km2 (242.5 sq mi)|
The Shire of Romsey was a local government area about 65 kilometres (40 mi) north-north-west of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 628 square kilometres (242.5 sq mi), and existed from 1862 until 1995.
Romsey was incorporated as a road district on 5 August 1862, and became a shire on 16 June 1871.
On 10 January 1890, the Shire of Lancefield was created from parts of the Lancefield and Rochford Ridings, however, it and the Shire of Springfield were united with Romsey on 31 May 1916. Parts of Romsey was annexed to the Shire of Kilmore on 28 May 1958.
On 19 January 1995, the Shire of Romsey was abolished, and, along with the Shires of Gisborne, Kyneton and Newham and Woodend, was merged into the newly created Shire of Macedon Ranges.
The Shire of Romsey was divided into four ridings on 7 February 1978, each of which elected three councillors:
- Central Riding
- Lancefield Riding
- Riddell Riding
- Romsey Riding
Towns and localities
- Darraweit Guim
- Mount William
- Riddells Creek
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- ↑ Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- ↑ Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 820–821. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- ↑ Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 8. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.
Coordinates: 37°21′S 144°45′E / 37.350°S 144.750°E