Shire of Wycheproof
|Shire of Wycheproof|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||0.7615/km2 (1.972/sq mi)|
|Area||4,110.3 km2 (1,587.0 sq mi)|
|County||Borung, Tatchera, Karkarooc, Kara Kara|
The Shire of Wycheproof was a local government area about 130 kilometres (81 mi) northwest of Bendigo in northwestern Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 4,110.3 square kilometres (1,587.0 sq mi), and existed from 1894 until 1995.
Wycheproof was originally part of the St Arnaud Road District which was incorporated in 1861 and became a Shire in 1864. On 27 April 1894, the North Riding of the Shire was severed and proclaimed as the Shire of Wycheproof after a successful petition from the residents of Wycheproof to the Commissioner of Public Works. Over the years several boundary changes occurred:
- 31 May 1897 - Part of the Shire of Castle Donnington was annexed as the Tyrrell Riding.
- 28 April 1898 - Part of the Shire of Donald was annexed to the South Riding.
- 31 May 1906 - Wycheproof lost part of its Tyrrell Riding to the Shire of Karkarooc.
- 21 December 1936 - Part of the Shire of Swan Hill annexed as part of the Tyrrell Riding
- 10 May 1949 - Wycheproof lost part of its Central Riding to the Shire of Birchip.
Wycheproof was divided into four ridings, each of which elected three councillors, except for Bunguluke which elected two councillors.
- Bunguluke Riding
- Myall Riding
- Thalia Riding
- Tyrrell Riding
Towns and localities
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 51. ISSN 0067-1223.
- "NEWS OF THE DAY.". The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954). Melbourne, Vic.: National Library of Australia. 24 March 1894. p. 7. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "NEWS OF THE DAY.". The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954). Melbourne, Vic.: National Library of Australia. 24 April 1894. p. 4. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 900–901. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 5. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.