Shire of Walpeup
|Shire of Walpeup|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||0.3019/km2 (0.7819/sq mi)|
|Area||10,964 km2 (4,233.2 sq mi)|
|County||Karkarooc, Millewa, Weeah|
The Shire of Walpeup was a local government area in northwestern Victoria, Australia, along the South Australian border. The shire covered an area of 10,964 square kilometres (4,233.2 sq mi), and existed from 1911 until 1995.
Walpeup was divided into four ridings in 1986, each of which elected three councillors:
- Ouyen East Riding
- Ouyen West Riding
- Walpeup/Underbool Riding
- Murrayville Riding
Towns and localities
- Big Desert Wilderness Park
- Murray-Sunset National Park (split with Shire of Mildura)
- Wyperfeld National Park (split with Shire of Dimboola)
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 873–874. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 9. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.