Shire of Avoca
|Shire of Avoca|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||2.064/km2 (5.346/sq mi)|
|Area||1,124 km2 (434.0 sq mi)|
|County||Gladstone, Kara Kara|
The Shire of Avoca was a local government area about 180 kilometres (112 mi) northwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 1,124 square kilometres (434.0 sq mi), and existed from 1861 until 1994.
On 23 September 1994, the Shire of Avoca was abolished, and, along with the Shires of Lexton and Ripon, was merged into the newly created Shire of Pyrenees. The district surrounding Navarre was transferred to the Shire of Northern Grampians.
The Shire of Avoca was divided into three ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Avoca Township Riding
- East Riding
- West Riding
Towns and localities
- Natte Yallock
- Rathscar West
- Wattle Creek
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 571–572. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 10,11. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.