City of Newtown
|City of Newtown|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||1,641.5/km2 (4,251/sq mi)|
|Area||6.22 km2 (2.4 sq mi)|
The City of Newtown was a local government area about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) west of the regional city of Geelong, Victoria, Australia. The city covered an area of 6.22 square kilometres (2.4 sq mi), and existed from 1858 until 1994.
On 18 May 1993, the City was abolished, and under the City of Greater Geelong Act 1993 merged into the City of Greater Geelong with the Cities of Geelong West and Newtown, Rural City of Bellarine, Shire of Corio, part of the City of South Barwon and parts of the Shires of Barrabool and Bannockburn.
The City of Newtown was divided into three wards, each of which elected three councillors:
- North Ward
- South Ward
- West Ward
The City of Newtown consisted of the suburb of Newtown on the north bank of the Barwon River, and extended across the river to include Queens Park. It was bounded by Aberdeen, Minerva and Autumn Streets to the north, the Barwon River to the south and La Trobe Terrace to the east.
The Town Hall was located on Pakington Street, opposite Virginia Street, adjacent to Armytage House.
* Estimates in 1958, 1983 and 1988 Victorian Year Books.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 438–439. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Public Record Office (Victoria) (2005). "Agency VA 2431 - Geelong". Retrieved 2008-04-21.