Shire of Newstead
|Shire of Newstead|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||7.502/km2 (19.43/sq mi)|
|Area||409.22 km2 (158.0 sq mi)|
The Shire of Newstead was a local government area about 120 kilometres (75 mi) northwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 409.22 square kilometres (158.0 sq mi), and existed from 1860 until 1995.
Newstead was first incorporated as a road district on 12 October 1860, and became a shire on 7 March 1865. On 1 October 1915, the Shire of Mount Alexander, created on 20 June 1871 with an area of 135 square kilometres (52 sq mi), was merged into Newstead.
The Shire of Newstead was divided into four ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Campbells Creek Riding
- Fryers Riding
- Loddon Riding
- South Riding
Towns and localities
- Cairn Curran Reservoir
- Campbells Creek
- Muckleford South
- Welshmans Reef
- Yandoit Hills
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 789–790. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 10. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.