Shire of Lowan
|Shire of Lowan|
Location in Victoria
The Shire Hall in Nhill, built in 1888
|• Density||1.0276/km2 (2.662/sq mi)|
|Area||2,861 km2 (1,104.6 sq mi)|
The Shire of Lowan was a local government area in the Wimmera region of western Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 2,861 square kilometres (1,104.6 sq mi), and existed from 1875 until 1995.
Lowan was originally part of the Shire of Wimmera, which incorporated in 1862. On 31 December 1875, Lowan became a shire in its own right. Several parts of the shire split away in its first 20 years;
- the Shire of Dimboola severed from Lowan and incorporated on 2 April 1885;
- the West Riding was severed, to form the Shire of Kaniva (Lawloit) on 29 May 1891;
- the South Riding was severed, to form the Shire of Kowree on 29 May 1894.
Like many western shires, it lost a remote section to its north, when the Shire of Walpeup was created on 1 November 1911.
On 20 January 1995, the Shire of Lowan was abolished, and, along with the Shire of Dimboola, was merged into the newly created Shire of Hindmarsh.
The Shire of Lowan was divided into four ridings on 31 May 1901, each of which elected three councillors:
- East Riding
- West Riding
- South Riding
- Southwest Riding
Towns and localities
- Balrootan North
- Waggon Flat
* Estimates in 1958, 1983 and 1988 Victorian Year Books.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 744–745. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 7. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.