Rural City of Bellarine
|Rural City of Bellarine|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||133.161/km2 (344.88/sq mi)|
|Area||331.78 km2 (128.1 sq mi)|
The Rural City of Bellarine was a local government area southeast of the regional city of Geelong, Victoria, Australia, covering most of the Bellarine Peninsula. The Rural City covered an area of 331.78 square kilometres (128.1 sq mi), and existed from 1853 until 1993.
Bellarine was first incorporated as the Portarlington Road District on 12 December 1853, and became a shire on 26 September 1865. On 12 December 1989, Bellarine was proclaimed a Rural City.
On 18 May 1993, the Rural City of Bellarine was abolished, and, along with the Cities of Geelong, Geelong West and Newtown, the Shire of Corio and parts of the City of South Barwon and the Shires of Barrabool and Bannockburn, was merged into the newly created City of Greater Geelong.
The Rural City of Bellarine was divided into three ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Bellarine Riding
- Paywit Riding
- Moolap Riding
Towns and localities
- Clifton Springs
- Drysdale (including the neighbourhood of Murradoc)
- Indented Head
- Marcus Hill
- Moolap (including the neighbourhood of Point Henry)
- Ocean Grove
- Point Lonsdale (shared with the Borough of Queenscliffe)
- St Leonards
- Swan Bay
- Wallington (including the neighbourhood of Fenwick)
* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- ↑ Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- ↑ Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 299–300. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.