Shire of Benalla
|Shire of Benalla|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||2.4419/km2 (6.324/sq mi)|
|Area||2,322 km2 (896.5 sq mi)|
The Shire of Benalla was a local government area about 188 kilometres (117 mi) northeast of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 2,322 square kilometres (896.5 sq mi), and existed from 1868 until 1994. From 1948 onwards, Benalla itself was managed by a different entity, later known as the City of Benalla.
Benalla was first incorporated as a road district on 4 September 1868, and became a shire on 3 September 1869. The declared area included the Shire of Euroa, which was severed and incorporated on 3 November 1879.
Over the following years, the Shire of Benalla lost small amounts of territory at its edges:
- 11 April 1895 - Part of the Warrenbayne Riding was transferred to the Shire of Violet Town;
- 23 December 1903 - Part of the Devenish Riding was transferred to the Shire of Shepparton;
- 31 May 1906 - Part of the Mokoan Riding was transferred to the Shire of Wangaratta.
On 1 September 1948, after considerable growth of Benalla as a regional centre, the Central Riding was severed, and became the Borough of Benalla, later becoming the City of Benalla, on 26 May 1965. On four occasions (10 April 1956, 1 February 1964, 17 September 1969, 13 February 1980), land was transferred to the City of Benalla.
On 18 November 1994, the Shire of Benalla was abolished, and, along with the City of Benalla, the Shire of Mansfield, and the Warrenbayne district of the Shire of Violet Town, was merged into the Shire of Delatite. The Glenrowan district was transferred to the newly created Rural City of Wangaratta.
The Shire of Benalla was divided into four ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Devenish Riding
- Mokoan Riding
- Tatong Riding
- Warrenbayne Riding
Towns and localities
- Chesney Vale
- Lake Mokoan
- Lake Nilacootie
- Toorour Reservoir
- Upper Lurg
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
+ The combined population of the Shire and Borough in 1954 was 10,452.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 600–601. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 5,9. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.