City of Shepparton
|City of Shepparton|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||985.4/km2 (2,552.2/sq mi)|
|Area||26.71 km2 (10.3 sq mi)|
The City of Shepparton was a local government area in the Goulburn Valley region, about 180 kilometres (112 mi) north of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The city covered an area of 26.71 square kilometres (10.3 sq mi), and existed from 1927 until 1994. It excluded areas such as Mooroopna and Kialla, which are now considered to be suburbs.
On 31 May 1927, the Shepparton Riding of the Shire of Shepparton was severed, and became a borough. On 16 March 1949, it achieved city status and was proclaimed by the Governor of Victoria on 2 February 1950. The city annexed land in neighbouring districts on 26 May 1948 and 1 October 1961.
On 18 November 1994, the City of Shepparton was abolished, and, along with the Shires of Rodney and Shepparton, and some neighbouring districts, was merged into the newly created City of Greater Shepparton.
The City of Shepparton was divided into three wards on 31 May 1988, each of which elected three councillors:
- Central Ward
- Deakin Ward
- Wilmot Ward
Towns and localities
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 476–477, 830–831. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 7. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.