City of Maryborough (Victoria)
|City of Maryborough|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||342.62/km2 (887.4/sq mi)|
|Area||23.32 km2 (9.0 sq mi)|
The City of Maryborough was a local government area about 170 kilometres (106 mi) northwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia, and the governing body for the regional centre of Maryborough. The City covered an area of 23.32 square kilometres (9.0 sq mi), and existed from 1857 until 1995. The City of Maryborough was surrounded by the Shire of Tullaroop, which was united with Maryborough under the Shire of Central Goldfields as part of a large-scale statewide amalgamation program by the Victorian Government in 1994-95.
The City of Maryborough was divided into three wards in 1887, each of which elected three councillors:
- North Ward
- South Ward
- East Ward
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. p. 417. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 5. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.