Shire of Gordon
|Shire of Gordon|
Location in Victoria
Shire of Gordon memorial hall, Boort
|• Density||1.3412/km2 (3.474/sq mi)|
|Area||2,028 km2 (783.0 sq mi)|
|County||Gunbower, Gladstone, Tatchera|
The Shire of Gordon was a local government area about 245 kilometres (152 mi) north-northwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 2,028 square kilometres (783.0 sq mi), and existed from 1885 until 1995.
The Swan Hill Road District, which initially covered most of northwestern Victoria, was incorporated on 8 July 1862, and became a shire on 14 August 1871. The Shire of Gordon was severed and incorporated on 26 May 1885, from parts of the East and West Loddon Ridings, and was named after Major General Charles Gordon. Gordon annexed part of the South West Riding of the Shire of Kerang on 5 October 1977.
On 20 January 1995, the Shire of Gordon was abolished, and, along with the Shires of East Loddon and Korong, and parts of the Rural City of Marong and surrounding districts, was merged into the newly created Shire of Loddon.
The Shire of Gordon was divided into three ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Central Riding
- East Riding
- West Riding
Towns and localities
- Appin South
- Bald Rock
- Canary Island
- Durham Ox
- Kow Swamp
- Lake Marmal
- Loddon Vale
- Pyramid Hill
- Terrick Terrick
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- ↑ Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- ↑ Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 684–685, 718–20. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- ↑ Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 5,8. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.
Media related to Shire of Gordon at Wikimedia Commons
Coordinates: 36°06′S 143°43′E / 36.100°S 143.717°E