Borough of Port Fairy
|Borough of Port Fairy|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||117.96/km2 (305.5/sq mi)|
|Area||22.72 km2 (8.8 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Port Fairy|
The Borough of Port Fairy was a local government area about 290 kilometres (180 mi) west-southwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The borough covered an area of 22.72 square kilometres (8.8 sq mi), and existed from 1856 until 1994. Its area was surrounded by the Shire of Belfast and the Southern Ocean.
Port Fairy was incorporated as the Belfast Municipal District on 1 July 1856, becoming a borough on 1 October 1863. On 27 May 1887 it was renamed Port Fairy.
On 23 September 1994, the Borough was abolished, and merged with Tower Hill Reserve, the Shires of Belfast and Minhamite, most of Warrnambool and Mortlake and parts of Dundas and Mount Rouse into the Shire of Moyne.
The Borough of Port Fairy was not subdivided into wards, and the seven councillors represented the entire area.
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- ↑ Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- ↑ Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. p. 550. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- ↑ Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 10. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.
Coordinates: 38°22′S 142°14′E / 38.367°S 142.233°E