Longridge railway station
Remains of the station buildings in 2007, viewed from the east
|Place||Berry Lane, Longridge|
|Coordinates||53°49′53″N 2°36′14″W / 53.8315°N 2.6039°WCoordinates: 53°49′53″N 2°36′14″W / 53.8315°N 2.6039°W|
|Original company||Preston and Longridge Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway / London and North Western Railway (joint)|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 May 1840||Opened|
|1872||Station building erected|
|31 May 1930||Closed to passengers|
|November 1967||Line closed to goods|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
| Maps showing|
|Old OS Maps (estimated 1925 to 1945)|
|NPE Maps (1947-48)|
|Vision of Britain|
|OS 1:10000 Map on MARIO (about 1847)|
The line first opened in 1840 to carry stone from the recently opened Tootle Heights quarry on the northeastern side of the village of Longridge, as it then was. Wagons carrying quarried stone ran downhill to Preston and were hauled in the other direction by horses. There were rudimentary passenger facilities at a level crossing in Burey Lane (later called Berry Lane) which at the time was a rural lane with only a couple of houses; the village of Longridge was at the southeast end of the lane. A hotel was built next to the station, and was known as the Longridge Railway Tavern and the Station Hotel before being renamed in 1853 the Towneley Arms, as it is still known today.
By 1867, the railway was owned jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the London and North Western Railway, and three years later the railway bought the Towneley Arms. A station building was built on the side of the hotel in 1872.
Today the former station building and canopy still exist and are used as the headquarters of Longridge Town Council. Where the tracks once ran through the station is a war memorial, erected in 1981. Part of the goods yard opposite has become a supermarket car park.
In late 2008, a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £221,600 was awarded to restore the former station building for use as a heritage centre and community area. The restoration was completed in 2010.
- Till, pp.88–89; Pattinson, p.5
- Pattinson, p.19; Till, pp.127 & 158
- Suggitt, p.50; Pattinson, p.5; Till, p.92
- Pattinson, p.6
- Suggitt, p.51; Pattinson, p.6
- Suggitt, pp.52–53
- Pattinson, p.16
- Suggitt, p.55; Pattinson, p.19
- Coppin, A, "War memorial links", Longridge News 25 May 2007, accessed online 11 July 2007.
- "Heritage Lottery Fund Committee for the North West Meeting on 17 September 2008" (minutes), retrieved 10 May 2009
- "...but HLF grant saves station". The Railway Magazine. Vol. 154 no. 1,292. December 2008. p. 10.
- Longridge Station retrieved 9 January 2011
- Pattinson, M. (Ed.) (1999) Longridge — The Way we Were, Hudson History of Settle, ISBN 0-9533643-4-8
- Suggitt, G. (2003, revised 2004) Lost Railways of Lancashire, Countryside Books, Newbury, ISBN 1-85306-801-2
- Till, J.M. (1993) A History of Longridge and its People, Carnegie Publishing, Preston, ISBN 0-948789-92-1
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Preston and Longridge Railway||Terminus|