Spring Vale railway station
|Area||Blackburn with Darwen|
|Coordinates||53°41′12″N 2°27′26″W / 53.6868°N 2.4572°WCoordinates: 53°41′12″N 2°27′26″W / 53.6868°N 2.4572°W|
|Original company||Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|3 August 1847||Opened as Sough; terminus of line|
|12 June 1848||Line extended to Bolton|
|November 1870||Renamed Spring Vale and Sough|
|1 March 1877||Renamed Spring Vale|
|5 August 1958||Closed to passengers|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Spring Vale railway station was a railway station that served the community of Spring Vale, in Darwen, Lancashire, England. It was opened by the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway on 3 August 1847, and was originally named Sough. At first, it was the southern terminus of the line from Blackburn (Bolton Road); the line south of Sough to Bolton opened on 12 June 1848. The station was renamed Spring Vale and Sough in November 1870, and Spring Vale on 1 March 1877. It was closed on 5 August 1958, two days after nearby Lower Darwen. It achieved noteworthiness when, on the night of 25 September 1931, Mahatma Gandhi alighted from a train there to spend the night with a local family whilst visiting England to see the effects of his cotton making campaign on the British textile industry.
- ↑ Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 214. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- ↑ Marshall, John (1969). The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, volume 1. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. pp. 178, 181. ISBN 0-7153-4352-1.
- ↑ Butt 1995, pp. 214, 218
- ↑ Butt 1995, p. 218
- ↑ Daniels, Gerald David; Dench, Leslie Alan (February 1963) . Passengers No More 1952–1962. Closures of stations and branch lines (PDF) (2nd ed.). Brighton: GLO. p. 23. OCLC 504319235.
- ↑ Daniels & Dench 1963, p. 18
- Welch, S. Lancashire Steam Finale, ISBN 1-870754-61-1
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line and station open
| Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
Blackburn, Darwen and Bolton Railway
Line and station open