Preston Fishergate Hill railway station
| Maps showing|
Preston Fishergate Hill Station
|OS 1:2500 Map on MARIO (about 1893)|
Preston Fishergate Hill was a railway station at the bottom of Fishergate Hill in Preston. It formed the northeastern terminus of the West Lancashire Railway which built a direct railway link between Southport and Preston. The station was also known as Preston West Lancashire Station (OS 1:2500 1st Ed map).
The terminus opened on 15 September 1882 and was designed by Charles Henry Driver. It closed to passengers on 16 July 1900 when the West Lancashire Railway was absorbed by its rival, the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (Biddle, 1989). From that date, the new owners directed passenger traffic to the joint L&YR and LNWR station closer to the centre of town (Cotterall, 1982).
- "Opening of the Southport and Preston Railway". Liverpool Mercury. British Newspaper Archive. 16 September 1882. Retrieved 7 August 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive. (subscription required (. ))
- A photograph can be found in Greville and Holt (1960), p. 199
- Biddle, G. (1989) The Railways Around Preston - A Historical Review, Scenes from the Past: No. 6, Foxline Publishing, ISBN 1-870119-05-3
- Cotterall, J.E. (1982) The West Lancashire Railway, The Oakwood Press, ISBN 0-85361-288-9
- Greville, M.D.; Holt, G.O. (March 1960). "Railway Development in Preston—2" (PDF). The Railway Magazine. Vol. 106 no. 707. pp. 197–203.
- Ordnance Survey First Edition 1:2500 map accessed via MARIO 4 April 2007
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
| Penwortham Cop Lane
|West Lancashire Railway||Terminus|