Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway
|Southport and Cheshire|
Lines Extension Railway
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
The Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway is a now-disused railway line in Merseyside, England. It was built by the Cheshire Lines Committee, extending the North Liverpool Extension Line to Southport in 1884.
- North Liverpool Extension Line
- Aintree Central, Aintree. 13 July 1880 – 7 November 1960.
- Southport Junction
- Junction with Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway
- Sefton and Maghull, Maghull. 1884–1952.
- Lydiate, Lydiate. 1884–1952.
- Altcar and Hillhouse, Altcar 1884–1952.
- Junction with Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway 1884.
- Mossbridge 1884–1917.
- Woodvale, Woodvale. 1884–1952.
- Ainsdale Beach, Ainsdale. 1901–1952.
- Birkdale Palace, Birkdale. 1884–1952.
- Southport Lord Street, Southport. 1884–1952.
Passenger services ended 7 January 1952 and goods six months later. The line remained in intermittent use from Aintree to Altcar and Hillhouse to provide access to private sidings until May 1960, when the line was finally lifted.
The route today
- Bolger, Paul (1984). An Illustrated History of the Cheshire Lines Committee. Merseyside: Heyday Publishing Company. ISBN 0-947562-00-1.
- Dow, George (1962). Great Central, Volume Two: Dominion of Watkin, 1864–1899. Shepperton: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-1469-8.
- Historic map of railways in Liverpool
- Childwall railway station
- The line and mileages via Railwaycodes