Arkholme for Kirkby Lonsdale railway station
|Arkholme for Kirkby Lonsdale|
|Original company||Furness and Midland Joint Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Furness and Midland Joint Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|6 June 1867||Station opens as Arkholme|
|1 December 1869||Station renamed Arkholme for Kirkby Lonsdale|
|12 September 1960||Closed to passengers|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Arkholme for Kirkby Lonsdale railway station served the village of Arkholme in Lancashire, England. It is situated on what is now the Leeds to Morecambe Line between the current Wennington and Carnforth stations.
Opened by the Furness and Midland Joint Railway in 1867, then run by the Midland Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed by the British Transport Commission on 12 September 1960 when the local stopping service between Wennington & Carnforth was withdrawn.
The site today
Trains on the Leeds to Morecambe Line still pass the site. The station building was converted to a private dwelling after closure and is still used as such today. It was once owned by comedian and television personality Jim Bowen and featured on the TV programme Through the Keyhole.
- Daniels, Gerald David; Dench, Leslie Alan (February 1963) . Passengers No More 1952–1962. Closures of stations and branch lines (PDF) (2nd ed.). Brighton: GLO. p. 6. OCLC 504319235.
- Arkholme Station building, formerly owned by Jim Bowen Accessed 2008-10-17
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Melling||Furness and Midland Joint Railway||Borwick|