Deepdale Street railway station
|Coordinates||53°45′51″N 2°41′24″W / 53.7643°N 2.6900°WCoordinates: 53°45′51″N 2°41′24″W / 53.7643°N 2.6900°W|
|Original company||Preston and Longridge Railway|
|Pre-grouping||L&YR and L&NWR joint|
|1 May 1840||Opened|
|1856||Closed to passengers|
|1990s||Closed to goods|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
| Maps showing|
Deepdale Street Station
|OS 1:2500 Map on MARIO (about 1893)|
|OS 1:10000 Map on MARIO (about 1847)|
Deepdale Street railway station was the original Preston terminus of the Preston and Longridge Railway in Lancashire, England, when it first opened in 1840. It was located in Deepdale Street, off Deepdale Road, on what was then the outskirts of Preston. The rail line was originally designed to carry quarried stone from Longridge to Preston, so the passenger facilities were quite rudimentary and there were many sidings near the station for unloading stone.
In 1856, passenger services were diverted to a new line via Deepdale Bridge and Miley Tunnel to a new terminus at Maudland Bridge. Deepdale Street was closed to passengers but continued to be used for goods, even long after the rest of the line had closed. A coal depot in Deepdale Street, served by the railway, did not close until the 1990s.
Tracks connecting Deepdale Street to the West Coast Main Line via Miley Tunnel still exist although they are now rusty and overgrown.
- Suggitt, G. (2003, revised 2004) Lost Railways of Lancashire, Countryside Books, Newbury, ISBN 1-85306-801-2, pp.49–53.
- Till, J.M. (1993) A History of Longridge and its People, Carnegie Publishing, Preston, ISBN 0-948789-92-1
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Terminus||Preston and Longridge Railway||Ribbleton|