Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway

Liverpool, Southport and
Preston Junction Railway
Locale Lancashire
Track gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in) standard gauge
Route map

Altcar and Hillhouse
Junction with SCLER
Plex Moss Lane Halt from 1906
New Cut Lane Halt from 1906
Shirdley Hill
Heathey Lane Halt from 1907

Kew Gardens
Butts Lane Halt from 1907
Meols Cop
Junction with WLR
St Luke's from 1902
Junction with M&SR
Southport Ash Street until 1902
Southport Central until 1901
Junction with LCSR
Southport Chapel Street from 1901
Railway Junctions Diagram of Hillhouse Junction
Site of Butts Lane Halt

The Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway was formed in 1884, and totaled 7 miles. In 1897 it became part of Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, and on 1 May 1901, its northern terminus switched from Southport Central to Southport Chapel Street.

It connected the West Lancashire Railway's lines to the north of Southport to the CLC Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway at Altcar and Hillhouse railway station. Known also as the Barton branch, it ran from 1 September 1887 to 21 January 1952. The Barton branch was notable for the "Altcar Bob" service, introduced in July 1906.

The short section of line that contains Meols Cop is still open and has replaced a section of the original Manchester and Southport Railway. This northern part was electrified in 1904 and then de-electrified sixty years later.


This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 9/14/2015. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.