Waterfoot railway station
|Coordinates||53°41′30″N 2°15′09″W / 53.6918°N 2.2525°WCoordinates: 53°41′30″N 2°15′09″W / 53.6918°N 2.2525°W|
|Original company||East Lancashire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|27 March 1848||Opened as Newchurch; terminus of line|
|1 October 1852||Line extended to Bacup|
|1 August 1881||Renamed Waterfoot for Newchurch|
|by 1922||Renamed Waterfoot|
|5 December 1966||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
The railway line from Rawtenstall to Bacup, an extension of the East Lancashire Railway (ELR), was authorised on 27 July 1846. Construction began in 1847, and it was intended that it would be completed by 1 December the same year. The route required tunnels beyond Newchurch, and the expense of these meant that construction was curtailed, and the line was opened as far as Newchurch, where a station was opened on 27 March 1848.
Construction of the line onwards to Bacup resumed in 1851, and this was opened on 1 October 1852. The ELR amalgamated with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway on 13 May 1859. The whole line between Rawtenstall and Bacup was single-track at first; work to double the track began in 1878, and was completed in 1881.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Clough Fold|| Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
Rawtenstall to Bacup Line
- Marshall, John (1969). The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, volume 1. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. p. 109. ISBN 0-7153-4352-1.
- Marshall 1969, p. 116
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 169. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. p. 73. CN 8983.
- Marshall 1969, pp. 116–7
- Butt 1995, p. 242
- Lost Railways of Lancashire by Gordon Suggitt (ISBN 1-85306-801-2)
Railways in Rossendale