Jason in Carl Anton Larsen's expedition to Antarctica.
|Owner:||Luigi Amedeo, Duke of the Abruzzi|
|Fate:||In July 1909 she was given as training ship to an association in Rome and was taken under tow and anchored at Ripa Grande on the river Tiber, Italy.|
|Length:||147 ft (45 m)|
|Beam:||30.6 ft (9.3 m)|
|Draft:||17 ft (5.2 m)|
|Propulsion:||Sails with steam assisted propulsion 60 hp (45 kW).|
|Speed:||7.5 knots (13.9 km/h)|
Jason was a Norwegian whaling vessel laid down in 1881 in Rødsverven, Norway, the same shipyard which later built Ernest Shackleton's ship Endurance. The ship, financed by Christen Christensen, an entrepreneur from Sandefjord, was noted for her participation in an 1892-1893 Antarctic expedition led by Carl Anton Larsen.
Additionally, the vessel was noted for reaching 68°10'S, setting a new record for distance travelled south along the eastern Antarctic Peninsula. The ship's first mate during the expedition was Søren Andersen, also of Sandefjord. Jason was sold to an Italian company in 1899 and rechristened Stella Polare.
Usage as Jason
In 1888, Fridtjof Nansen captained Jason to Greenland in order to attempt the first documented crossing of the island.
From 1892 to 1894, the ship was used on scientific whaling expeditions to the Antarctic, funded by A/S Oceana. The purpose of these expeditions were to map the presence of whales and seals in the area. During this mission, Jason achieved a record of going the longest south in the area, reaching 68°10'S.
Geographical locations named after Jason
- Jason Peninsula
- Jason Harbour 54°12′S 36°35′W / 54.200°S 36.583°W South Georgia
- Jason Island 54°11′S 36°29.5′W / 54.183°S 36.4917°W South Georgia
- Jason Peak 54°11.5′S 36°37′W / 54.1917°S 36.617°W South Georgia
Antarctic discoveries during Jason's 1892-1893 voyage
- Cape Framnes
- Christensen Island: 65°5'S, 58°40'W
- Foyn's Land
- Larsen Ice Shelf
- Mount Jason: 65°44'S, 60°45'W
- Norway Sound (Norske Sund)
- Robertson Island: 65°10′S 59°37′W
- Seal Islands (Sel Øerne)
- Veier Head (Reclassified from Veierø, or Weather Island): 66°26'S, 60°45'W
Usage as Stella Polare
The ship was sold to the Italian prince and explorer Luigi Amedeo of Savoy-Aosta in 1899 and named Stella Polare. Amedeo gathered an expeditionary crew of Italian and Norwegian civilians and sailed from Christiana on 12 June of that year. By the 30th, they had reached Archangel, Russia to load sled dogs onto the ship. Leaving Russia, they headed for Franz Josef Land. They landed in Teplitz Bay in Rudolf Island, with a hope to establish a winter camp for the expedition. From here, they established a string of camps designed to supply each other with food and men. During the expedition, Amedeo lost two fingers to frostbite, and had to hand command of the voyage over to Captain Umberto Cagni. On 25 April 1900, Cagni planted the Italian flag at 86°34'N, claiming the title of "Farthest North."
Stella Polare was decommissioned in 1902.
Larsen, C.A. "The Voyage of the "Jason" to the Antarctic Regions." The Geographical Journal, Vol. 4, No. 4. (Oct., 1894), pp. 333–344.