Fellowship of Catholic University Students
Catholic outreach to American Students
FOCUS established its pilot program in January 1998 at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, with two staff members and 24 students. Curtis Martin met with Pope John Paul II in 1998, and shared the vision of FOCUS with him. The Pope's words to Curtis were, “Be soldiers.” At the invitation of Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, former Archbishop of Denver, a FOCUS program was established in the fall of 1998 at the University of Northern Colorado, Greeley. Archbishop Chaput has said, "No one does a more dynamic job of reaching college students for Christ than FOCUS."
FOCUS' purpose, what the organization calls "The Main Thing" is: "Inviting college students into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church. Inspiring and equipping them for a lifetime of Christ-centered evangelization, discipleship, and friendship in which they lead others to do the same.
FOCUS currently has over 500 full-time staff members. FOCUS takes recent college graduates, trains them in the teachings of the Catholic Church, Scripture and practical aspects of ministry, and sends them out typically in teams of four to serve on college campuses. FOCUS staff members make an initial two-year commitment to this full-time work on campus. FOCUS works with the approval of the local bishop and the support of the local pastor, as well as existing campus ministries.
Curtis Martin is the founder and CEO of FOCUS. In 2011, Curtis Martin was appointed as Consulter to the Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelization by Pope Benedict XVI. Martin is one of just 25 consultors and one of two Americans named to this Pontifical Council.
Martin holds a master's degree in Theology and is the author of the best-selling book Made for More, and co-host the EWTN show Crossing the Goal. In 2004, Curtis and his wife Michaelann were awarded the Benemerenti Medal by Pope John Paul II for their outstanding service to the Church.
- Catholic spirituality
- Life Teen
- Universal call to holiness
- Vocational Discernment in the Catholic Church
- World Youth Day
- Denver Post - Catholic group Curtis Martin leads the way on New Evangelization
- FOCUS - Our Story
- FOCUS - The Main Thing
- "Fellowship of Catholic University Students Heads Back to Campus, Adding 16 New Schools", National Catholic Register, September2, 2012
- The Denver Post - Pope calls Denver's Curtis Martin to serve on evangelization council
- Rome Reports - Article on 1st appointments
- Glatz, Carol. "Pope names two US Catholic evangelists to advise Vatican council", Catholic News Service, December 7, 2011
- FOCUS - Curtis Martin
- FOCUS - Campuses