Antiochus XIII Asiaticus
|Antiochus XIII Philadelphus|
|King of the Seleucid Empire (King of Syria)|
|Reign||69–64 BC (client king under Pompey)|
|Predecessor||Cleopatra Selene I and Seleucus VII Kybiosaktes|
|Successor||Philip II Philoromaeus|
|Father||Antiochus X Eusebes|
|Mother||Cleopatra Selene I|
He was son of king Antiochus X Eusebes and the Ptolemaic princess Cleopatra Selene I, who acted as regent for the boy Antiochus X Eusebes after his father's death sometime between 92 and 85 BC. Some time after Tigranes had conquered Syria (83 BC), she traveled to Rome to have her sons recognized as kings of Egypt, but to no avail. They were there between at least between 75 BC and 73 BC; recognized as "Kings of Syria", and "maintained a royal state". Selene was eventually captured and killed by Tigranes, but after the latter's defeat by Pompey, the residents of Antioch hailed Antiochus XIII as king, and Lucius Lucullus approved his appointment as client ruler of Syria (69 BC).
In 64 BC, Pompey had him deposed and killed by a Syrian chieftain, Sampsiceramus I. Antiochus' death is traditionally said to have ended the Seleucid dynasty, but he was survived by Philip II Philoromaeus for a short time.
- Cicero, In C. Verrem II 4.61, Appian, Syriaca VIII 49, XI 70, Justin, Historiarum Philippicarum T. Pompeii Trogi XL 2.2 (says Antiochus IX was his father). See also: C.J. Bennett, art. Cleopatra Selene queen of Syria, in Egyptian Royal Genealogy, 2002-2008 (n. 28). Archived May 9, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- E.R. Bevan, The House of Seleucus, London, 1902, p. 263.
- Appian, Syriaca VIII 49, Justin, Historiarum Philippicarum T. Pompeii Trogi XL 2.2.
- Appian, Syriaca VIII 49, XI 70, Justin, Historiarum Philippicarum T. Pompeii Trogi XL 2.2, Diodorus Siculus, Bibliotheca Historica XL 1a-b.
- Peter Green, Alexander to Actium: The Historical Evolution of the Hellenistic Age (1990), pp. 552, 553, 658, 659
- Edwyn R. Bevan, The House of Seleucus (1902), p. 263
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Antiochus XIII Asiaticus.|
- Antiocus XIII Asiaticus entry in historical sourcebook by Mahlon H. Smith
Antiochus XIII AsiaticusBorn: Unknown Died: 64 BC
Tigranes, Cleopatra Selene I, Seleucus VII Philometer
|Seleucid King (King of Syria)
83 BC–69 BC
with Cleopatra Selene I (83 BC–69 BC)
| Succeeded by|
Philip II Philoromaeus