Wangen im Allgäu
|Wangen im Allgäu|
Center of Wangen
Wangen im Allgäu
|Coordinates: 47°41′9″N 9°50′3″E / 47.68583°N 9.83417°ECoordinates: 47°41′9″N 9°50′3″E / 47.68583°N 9.83417°E|
|• Lord Mayor||Michael Lang|
|• Total||101.28 km2 (39.10 sq mi)|
|• Density||270/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Wangen im Allgäu is a historic city in southeast Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It lies north-east of Lake Constance in the Westallgäu. It is the second-largest city (Population: 27,157 in 2005) in the Ravensburg district and is a nexus for the surrounding communities. From 1938 to 1972, Wangen was the county seat of the Wangen rural district.
Wangen in Allgäu lies on the north bank of the upper Argen River. The Lower Argen flows past northwest Wangen and unites southwest of the city with the Upper Argen. The city today is shaped by its historical town center as well as by numerous nearby districts.
Several settlements border Wangen. Their names are as follows: Amtzell, Vogt, Kißlegg, Argenbühl, and Achberg (Ravensburg district), Hergatz and Hergensweiler (Lindau district), and Neukirch (Bodensee district).
|Imperial City of Wangen|
|Free Imperial City of the Holy Roman Empire|
|Capital||Wangen im Allgäu|
|Historical era||Middle Ages|
|•||City founded||before 815|
|•||Joined Swabian League||1349|
|•||Became a protectorate of St Gallen||477–88|
|•||Mediatised to Bavaria||1802|
|•||Ceded to Württemberg||1810|
The city was first mentioned in 815 under the name "Wangun" in a monastery document.
Wangen's production and export of manufactured goods, particularly scythes and canvas, gave the city a tremendous positive trade balance. This surplus money was used to acquire lands outside of the city walls, thus giving Wangen a safeguard against economic fluctuations.
In 1936, the city was officially named "Wangen in Allgäu"
From 1938 up unto its dissolution and integration into the Ravensburg district in 1972, Wangen was the capital of the Wangen rural district. In 1973, Wangen was officially designated by the Baden-Württemberg state government to Großen Kreisstadt (large district town) due to its population having reached 20,000.
In 1999, the largest flood in the most recent 50 years of Wangen's history completey flooded the lower city. The city was again flooded in 2006 by the upper Argen River.
Despite several major fires in 1539, 1793, and 1858, the old part of the town remains a juxtaposition of architectural elements ranging from those of the early middle ages to those of the late baroque era.
The Oberstadtkirche St. Martin ("St Martin's Upper City Church") is one of Wangen's oldest buildings. The church was already present in the 9th century; it was renovated numerous times in the following years. It contains both Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
The Ravensburg Gate is the city's prime landmark. It was first mentioned in 1472, but was probably changed to its current appearance in 1608. The building is decorated with Renaissance-era artwork. Similarly aged relics of the old city include the Lindau Gate and the Pfaffenturm tower.
The local history museum, Heimatmuseum in der Eselmühle, was opened in 1974 in a former mill acquired by the city in 1969. The museum displays the original mechanisms of the mill in addition to a collections from various spans of the city's history.
Mayors since 1804
- 1804–1810: Franz Josef von Bentele
- 1811–1819: Mathias Tschugg
- 1819–1826: Rudolf Salis
- 1826–1829: Martin Schnitzer
- 1829–1847: Christian Nepomuk Weber
- 1847–1859: Leopold Wocher
- 1860–1894: Jacob Trenkle
- 1894–1922: Rudolf Trenkle
- 1922–1933: Fritz Geray
- 1933: Gottlob Pfeiffer (provisional)
- 1933–1939: Dr Friedrich Wilhelm Erbacher
- 1939: Heinrich Fischer (provisional)
- 1939–1942: Carl Speidel (on behalf of Heinrich Fischer)
- 1942–1945: Max Steinegger (provisional)
- 1945: Karl Geiger (provisional)
- 1945: Franz Büchele (provisional)
- 1945–1946: Josef Max Kraus (provisional)
- 1945–1968: Wilhelm Uhl
- 1968–2001: Dr Jörg Leist
- 2001–present: Michael Lang
Economics and infrastructure
Wangen was once a center of the German textile industry before the decline of German textile manufacturing.
Wangen lies on the A96 Autobahn between Lindau and Memmingen, in addition to federal highways 18 and 32. The town is part of the Aulendorf – Kißlegg – Wangen - Hergatz – Lindau and Ulm – Memmingen – Kißlegg – Wangen – Hergatz – Lindau train lines. It lies on the bus route between Ravensburg and Isny. The city also belongs to the Bodensee–Oberschwaben public transportation association.
Wangen has a Gymnasium (Rupert-Neß-Gymnasium), a Realschule (Johann-Andreas-Rauch-Realschule), a Hauptschule (Hauptschule Karsee), a Werkrealschule (Anton-von-Gegenbaur-Schule) and a special school (Martinstorschule), three combined secondary and elementary schools (GHS Niederwangen, Praßberg-Schule and Freie Waldorfschule Wangen (http://www.fws-wangen.de/start.html), and six elementary schools (Berger-Höhe-Schule, Deuchelried, Grundschule im Ebnet, Leupolz, Neuravensburg, and Schomburg).
Wangen is serviced by the Schwäbische Zeitung newspaper as well as the local Regio TV television station.
Wangen is the seat of a local tax office. It has a district court, which belongs to the Ravensburg regional court district, which in turn belongs to the Stuttgart court district.
- From 1943 to 1945, Wangen served as the backdrop for the propaganda movie Quax in Fahrt
- From April 14 to May 13, 2004, the city and its surrounding areas served as a setting for the Tatort television series.
- The Wangen Juze Tonne e. V is the oldest autonomously run youth center in Germany.
- The Jugendmusikschule in Wangen is the largest school of music in Baden-Württemberg.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wangen im Allgäu.|