County of Eberstein
|County of Eberstein|
|State of the Holy Roman Empire|
|Capital|| Alt Ebersteina|
|Historical era||Middle Ages|
|•||Sold land to Baden||1387|
|•|| Comital line extinct,
to Speyer and
| a: Alt Eberstein is in Ebersteinburg, now an outlying district of Baden-Baden.|
b: Neu Eberstein is now known as Schloss Eberstein, near Gernsbach.
The Counts of Eberstein were a family of nobility in the southwest of Germany. From 1085 up into the 13th century they lived in the castle known today as Alt Eberstein which lies on a mountain top between the valleys of the rivers Murg and Oos (in Ebersteinburg, now an outlying district of Baden-Baden). They then moved to Neu Eberstein, today known as Schloss Eberstein, near Gernsbach.
After the financial ruin of Wolf von Eberstein in 1387, half of the family possessions had to be sold to the Margraves of Baden. When the last male member of the family died in 1660, the remaining possessions were taken over by the bishopric of Speyer and by the duchy of Württemberg.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eberstein (Swabian noble family).|
- Ebersteinburg tourist office (German)