The Camille Flammarion Observatory in Juvisy-sur-Orge

Coat of arms

Coordinates: 48°41′20″N 2°22′42″E / 48.6889°N 2.3783°E / 48.6889; 2.3783Coordinates: 48°41′20″N 2°22′42″E / 48.6889°N 2.3783°E / 48.6889; 2.3783
Country France
Region Île-de-France
Department Essonne
Arrondissement Palaiseau
Canton Athis-Mons
Intercommunality Portes de l'Essonne
  Mayor (20142020) Robin Reda
Area1 2.24 km2 (0.86 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 14,266
  Density 6,400/km2 (16,000/sq mi)
Demonym(s) French: juvisien(ne)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
  Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
INSEE/Postal code 91326 / 91260
Elevation 32–92 m (105–302 ft)
(avg. 36 m or 118 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Juvisy-sur-Orge (French pronunciation: [ʒyvizi syʁ ɔʁʒ]) is a commune in the Essonne department in Île-de-France in northern France. It is located 18 km south-east of Paris.

The site of the town has been occupied from ancient times; it is noted in Julius Caesar's book about the Gallic Wars. Centuries later, It became an important place under the French monarchy, as a royal hotel. It would also be used as a post relay, the first one on the road to Fontainebleau. It became a major road and railway junction in the 1840s after its railway station was built in 1840, and after 1893 was the first city surrounding Paris with a bridge crossing the river Seine.

Most of the city was destroyed in April 1944 by an Allied bombing as the city was the only one surrounding Paris that had such a big railway station and had railway lines going to most of France's major cities. It was then rebuilt between 1945 and the 1970s.

The city is today known for Gare de Juvisy, the fourth largest and most-frequented railway station in the Paris area.


Neighboring communes:

The city is located 18 km south from Paris. You can have access from the National Road N°.7 (Route nationale 7) and is 10 km north of Évry.


Juvisy-sur-Orge is served by Juvisy station on Paris RER (Réseau express régional, i.e. Regional Express Network) lines C and D


From 1882 to 1925 Juvisy-sur-Orge was the location of the astronomer Camille Flammarion's observatory, as well as the 1740 Pyramid erected to memorialize the work of Jean Picard and Nicolas Louis de Lacaille in measuring the Earth's circumference.

It is also the birthplace of Jean-Jacques Annaud, film director, Christophe, singer, and the burial site of author Raymond Queneau, also now represented by the Bibliothèque-Médiathèque Raymond Queneau.

Notable people

See also


    Wikimedia Commons has media related to Juvisy-sur-Orge.
    This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 7/20/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.