Eparchy of Žiča
|Eparchy of Žiča|
|Territory||Central parts of Republic of Serbia|
|Headquarters||Kraljevo, Republic of Serbia|
|Sui iuris church||Serbian Orthodox Church|
The Eparchy of Žiča is named after the Monastery of Žiča that was built around 1208 by Grand Prince Stefan Nemanjić of Serbia, who brought in Greek builders to construct the monastery. In 1219, first Serbian Archbishop Saint Sava chose Žiča to be the Serbian Archiepiscopal seat (Archbishopric of Žiča). Since then, Archdiocese of Žiča was the central eparchy of Serbian Orthodox Church and the cathedral church of Žiča was serving for coronations of Serbian kings of the Nemanjić dynasty.
The seat of the Serbian Church was moved in 1253 to the Monastery of Peć. The collection of church law known as "Nomocanon of Sava" was copied at the Monastery of Žiča and was for several centuries influential in southeastern Europe and Russia. In the middle of the 15th-century, a return of the archiepiscopal seat to Žiča was contemplated due to the Turkish invasion, but the move was not made. In the 16th century, after the Serbian Patriarchate was renewed, several Metropolitans of Žiča were appointed.
Bishops, since 1831
- Nikifor Maksimović, 1831-1853.
- Joanikije Nešković, 1854-1873.
- Vikentije Krasojević, 1873-1882.
- Kornilije Stanković, 1883-1885.
- Nikanor Ružičić, 1886-1889.
- Sava Barać, 1889-1913.
- Nikolaj Velimirović, 1919-1920.
- Jefrem Bojović, 1920-1933.
- Nikolaj Velimirović, 1936-1956, absent since 1941
- Vikentije Prodanov, administration 1941-1947.
- Valerijan Stefanović, administration 1947-1949.
- Josif Cvijović, administration
- German Đorić, 1956-1958
- Vasilije Kostić, 1961-1978.
- Stefan Boca, 1978-2003.
- Hrizostom Stolić, 2003-2012.
- Jovan Mladenović, administration 2012-2014.
- Justin Stefanović, 2014-present.
- Јанковић, Марија (1985). Епископије и митрополије Српске цркве у средњем веку (Bishoprics and Metropolitanates of Serbian Church in Middle Ages). Београд: Историјски институт САНУ.
- Вуковић, Сава (1996). Српски јерарси од деветог до двадесетог века (Serbian Hierarchs from the 9th to the 20th Century). Евро, Унирекс, Каленић.
- Popović, Svetlana (2002). "The Serbian Episcopal sees in the thirteenth century (Српска епископска седишта у XIII веку)". Старинар (51: 2001): 171–184.