Tara Air Twin Otter at Simikot
|IATA: IMK – ICAO: VNST|
|Elevation AMSL||9,246 ft / 2,818 m|
|Coordinates||29°58′16″N 081°49′08″E / 29.97111°N 81.81889°ECoordinates: 29°58′16″N 081°49′08″E / 29.97111°N 81.81889°E|
Location in Nepal
The airport resides at an elevation of 9,246 ft (2,818 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway which is 549 m (1,801 ft) in length. The runway has recently been improved and extended with more infrastructure being built. As a result of this construction the parking facilities and terminals also have seen some improvement.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- On 23 June 2011, Tara Air Dornier Do 228 9N-AGQ was substantially damaged in a heavy landing and runway excursion. The aircraft was operating a cargo flight from Nepalgunj Airport, Nepal.
- Airport information for Simikot, Nepal (VNST / IMK) at Great Circle Mapper.
- "Schedule Effective from 15 May, 2010 to 30 October, 2010". Nepal Airlines. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- Thubron, Colin (2011). To a Mountain in Tibet. New York: Harper Collins. Retrieved Dec 29, 2013.
- "Mount Kailash Yatra by Helicopter Via Nepalgunj/Simikot/Hilsa/Taklakot". LantangRi Trekking. Retrieved Dec 29, 2013.
- Hradecky, Simon. "Accident: Tara D228 at Simikot on Jun 23rd 2011, hard landing results in runway excursion and gear collapse". Aviation Herald. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simikot Airport.|