La Motte-Picquet – Grenelle
La Motte-Picquet – Grenelle is a station of the Paris Métro, at the interconnection of lines 6, 8 and 10 in the 15th arrondissement, near the 7th arrondissement. The station combines underground and elevated platforms. It is named after the Avenue de la Motte-Picquet and the Boulevard de Grenelle. It is a major Paris Metro interconnection on the Rive Gauche, and the most important west of Montparnasse.
Diagram showing the rerouting of lines in 1937
The elevated station first opened on 24 April 1906, as part of the extension of line 2 Sud (2 South) from Passy to Place d'Italie. On 14 October 1907, line 2 Sud was incorporated into line 5. On 12 October 1942 the section of line 5 between Étoile and Place d'Italie, including La Motte-Picquet Grenelle, was transferred to Line 6.
On 13 July 1913, underground platforms were opened as part of the original section of line 8 between Beaugrenelle (now Charles Michels) and Opéra via La Motte-Picquet Grenelle. The section of line 8 from La Motte-Picquet Grenelle to Charles Michels and Porte d'Auteuil was transferred to line 10 on 27 July 1937 when line 8 was extended to Balard and an underground track for line 10 was opened linking La Motte-Picquet Grenelle with Duroc.
Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte was a Louis XV and Louis XIV era Admiral of the French Royal Navy, noted for his involvement in French naval support for the Americans during the American Revolutionary War, notably in the Battle of Grenada and the Siege of Savannah.
The quartier of Grenelle was constituted as a peripheral commune to Paris during the second quarter of the 19th century and finally incorporated into the city in 1860 by the Baron Haussmann under Napoléon III.
Line 6 MP 73
rolling stock at La Motte-Picquet – Grenelle
- Roland, Gérard (2003). Stations de métro. D’Abbesses à Wagram. Éditions Bonneton.