Javel – André Citroën (Paris Métro)
|Paris Métro station|
15th arrondissement of Paris|
|Coordinates||48°50′46″N 2°16′43″E / 48.846165°N 2.278716°ECoordinates: 48°50′46″N 2°16′43″E / 48.846165°N 2.278716°E|
|Opened||30 September 1913|
Javel - André Citroën
Location within Paris
West of this station line 10 splits into separate eastbound and westbound sections until Boulogne - Jean Jaurès station (although both lines pass through Mirabeau station, it is only served by eastbound trains; the point where the lines actually diverge is located west of that station).
The station opened as Javel on 30 September 1913 as part of the extension of line 8 from Beaugrenelle (now Charles Michels) to Porte d'Auteuil. On 29 July 1937, line 10 was extended from Duroc to La Motte-Picquet - Grenelle and the section of line 8 between La Motte-Picquet - Grenelle and Porte d'Auteuil, including Javel was transferred to line 10.
It was originally called Javel after the district of Javel, famous for the production of bleach, known as eau de Javel in French. In 1785, Claude Louis Berthollet discovered the active ingredient in household bleach, sodium hypochlorite and in 1789 he had built a bleach factory in Javel. In recent years the name of the car-manufacturer, André Citroën has been added to the station's name. A former Citroën car factory south of the station on Quai André-Citroën has been turned into an innovative urban park, the Parc André Citroën.
Places of interest
|Street Level||Street level||Exit|
|Westbound||← toward Boulogne – Pont de Saint-Cloud (Église d'Auteuil)|
|Eastbound||toward Gare d'Austerlitz (Charles Michels) →|
Nearby are the Parc André Citroën and the Pont Mirabeau.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Javel - André Citroën (Paris Metro).|
- Roland, Gérard (2003). Stations de métro. D’Abbesses à Wagram. Éditions Bonneton.
|Paris Métro||Line 10|