King Henry VIII School, Coventry
Religioni et reipublicae(For religion and for public affairs)
|Type||Independent day school|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Headteacher||Mr Jason Slack|
|Chair||Coventry School Foundation|
Coordinates: 52°23′57″N 1°31′01″W / 52.3993°N 1.5169°W
|DfE URN||103750 Tables|
The Arrow (Monthly) |
The Coventrian (Annually)
|Former pupils||Old Coventrians|
King Henry VIII School is a coeducational independent school located in Coventry, England, comprising a senior school (ages 11–18) and associated preparatory school (ages 3–11). The senior school has approximately 800 pupils (120 in each of years 7–11 and 100 in each year of the Sixth Form). The current fees stand at £9,816 per year, though bursaries and scholarships (ranging from 10% to 90%) are available. Due to its convenient location close to Coventry’s railway station, the school accommodates pupils from around the West Midlands area, including towns in 30 miles distance, such as Northampton.
The school is situated on an 11-acre (4.5 ha) urban site within a walking distance of the railway station, allowing pupils to travel from the surrounding towns of Warwick, Balsall Common, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth and Nuneaton. The buildings are an imposing example of Victorian collegiate Tudor, nevertheless, numerous modern facilities diversify the architecture of the school’s campus, including a new art complex, drama studio, sports hall, library and most recently a swimming pool and fitness suite. The prep school has its own building on the same site.
Although the school is Christian, cultural and religious diversity are strongly embraced and welcomed. Pupils are also encouraged to take part in extra-curricular activities including a variety of sports played at county, regional and national levels, music, drama, Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme, public speaking, chess and debating. The school is run by the Coventry School Foundation, a registered charity, and jointly administered with Bablake School under a common Board of Governors. The schools have mutual arrangements such as a common entrance examination, shared astroturf pitches, and similar school uniforms, differing only in the style of tie and the badge on the blazer. The Coventry School Foundation also includes the new Bablake Junior School and King Henry VIII Preparatory School, formed from the merger of Coventry Preparatory School with King Henry VIII Junior School from the beginning of the 2008/9 academic year. The two school sites remain in use by the preparatory school, with the Reception to Y3 classes occupying the old Coventry Preparatory site, which is known as Swallows, in honour of the school's founder. The Y4 to Y6 classes occupy the former King Henry VIII Junior School site, adjacent to the senior school, which is known as Hales in honour of that school's founder. With effect from September 2008, King Henry VIII School began to offer continuity of education from ages 3 to 18.
The school was founded on 23 July 1545 by the Clerk of the Hanaper John Hales as the Free Grammar School under letters patent of King Henry VIII. During the initial foundation of the school it was located in the Whitefriars’ Monastery. Nevertheless, due to religious differences, the school was relocated to the building of the former St. John’s Hospital in 1558, where it spent more than 300 years before moving to its present site on the south side of the city in 1885, a building there having been designed for it by Edward Burgess. Much of this original redbrick still stands despite war damage, as well as many expansions.
In 1572 the school’s administration was conveyed to the Coventry Corporation. It is interesting to mention that in 1573, a deed was legalised by the Mayor of Coventry, according to which, generous endowments were allocated to the school, which were used for the school’s overall maintenance, but more particularly, for the sustenance of music as part of the educational curriculum, as the School was the only Grammar school which emphasised the importance of music as part of education. The Free Grammar School offered the students a choice between as many as seventeen subjects, including Greek and Latin (Grammar), Mathematics and Music.
Between 1572 and 1600 the reputation of the School had become well known around the West Midlands area, which accounted for a large increase in the number of pupils. The 17th century was the most prosperous period for the School, as the city of Coventry was blooming and regardless of the political and religious controversies in the country, people were finding consolation and shelter in schools. In 1601, the School’s library was established and maintained by the donations of affluent contributors, which further enhanced the reputation of the School as a leading educational institution. Nevertheless, during the 18th century, the School experienced major decline and struggle.
Due to financial difficulties, the School was required to introduce fees to the students. In an attempt to deal with these struggles the School was divided into two departments: Classical and Commercial. The Commercial subjects were taught at the Schoolroom and were greatest in demand, while the Classical subjects were taught in the library and were specifically aimed at boys willing to attend the University. Specific regulations were set for each of the departments.
The first indication of a modern school uniform was introduced as boys attending the Free Grammar School were required to wear College caps. The implemented changes assisted in certain improvements in the performance of the school.
In 1878 the School was no longer a “Free Grammar School” and it became an independent institution after being under the administration of the Corporation and the City Authorities for 300 years. The old school premises were condemned and the new buildings, used at the present, were established on Warwick Road in 1885. Further improvements to the curriculum were also implemented and a wide diversity of subjects was introduced. By 1910 the number of pupils had increased and the work and discipline in the school were greatly improved. Over the next several years, the school continued to thrive and in 1926 the Preparatory classes were reinstated. By 1939 the number of boys in the school had grown from 94 in 1901 to approximately 500. The number of pupils continued to grow even during the war times (1939-1945) with over 822 students in the school, 179 of which in the Junior division. Regardless of the damage caused by the bombings over Coventry, which diminished the school’s library and other buildings, the school continued to expand and develop. Girls were first admitted to the school in 1975.
Houses and competitions
The four modern-day houses are:
A fifth house called King's was abolished in 1996, following a decision to reduce the number of houses to four by eliminating whichever house came in overall last place that year. Its loss was particularly notable since up until a change of leadership only a few years previously it had consistently dominated the house competitions, winning the overall competition almost every year for some decades.
There are around fifty events each year, across all years in the school. They range from sporting competitions on Games’ afternoons to major Drama and Music festivals, via many after-school events, such as badminton and basketball in the Sports’ Hall and debating, chess and hockey in their specialist areas. Students can show their paces in rugby or netball, get involved in cricket or tennis, or pit their wits at more intellectual pursuits. At events such as inter-house music and drama festivals, they are presented with further opportunities for individual and group achievement. The House Points system, whereby all staff can commend work, behaviour or attitude, is integrated into the competition.
The points won in each of the House events (four for first down to one for fourth) are totalled to make up the Band Trophy points, with that trophy awarded annually. There is a real sense of competition and belonging, fostered by the fortnightly House meetings; it is certainly the intention that every student finds an opening in House events, whether in something in which they have already enjoyed success, or taking the plunge in an entirely new activity. King Henry VIII school is known to have a firm yet friendly rivalry with its sister school in the Coventry School Foundation – Bablake School. Annual competitions in sports between the two schools mark highlights in the year for all in the school community.
In 1991 Le Logis de Fousseau, a manor house in the French Department of Mayenne, was generously donated to the Foundation by Mr Bill Boucher for the use and benefit of the pupils of the Foundation. Since then it has been used and enjoyed by countless pupils. Le Fousseau is located deep in the country around 15 km from Fougères. The border with Brittany is only a few kilometres to the west and that of Normandy some 20 km to the north. In the Autumn term of each academic year all the pupils in Year 8 visit Le Fousseau, for a week, to practise speaking French and to learn more about French culture and way of life. Older students, especially in Years 10 and 12, also use the manor house for study trips.
With effect from September 2012, the school will no longer make use of Le Fousseau. The Coventry School Foundation took the decision in 2012 to sell the property and find alternative provision for residential visits.
King Henry VIII School's Swimming pool was featured in a BMW ad starring Rebecca Adlington.
- George Fisher MA (Oxon), 2000–2010
- Terence Vardon MA (Oxon), 1994–1999
- Rhidian James BA (Leeds), 1992–1994
- Roy Cooke MA (Oxon), 1974–1977
- Herbert Walker BA (London), 1950–1974
- A.A.C. Burton MA (Oxon), 1931–1950
- John Lupton MA (Cantab), 1910–1931
- A.D. Perrott MA (Cantab), 1906–1910
- C.R. Gilbert MA (Cantab), 1890–1906
- W.W. Sweet-Escott MA (Oxon), 1879–1889
- John Grover, 1867–1879
- Henry Temple, 1857–1867
- Thomas Sheepshanks MA (Cantab), 1834–1857
- William Brooks MA (Oxon), 1779–1833
- Thomas Edwards DD (Cantab), 1758–1779
- Edward Jackson BA (Cantab), 1718–1758
- Richard Marsden MA (Oxon), 1717–1718
- George Greenway, 1701–1717
- Samuel Carte MA (Oxon), 1691–1700
- Samuel Frankland MA (Cantab), 1651–1691
- Phineas White BA (Cantab), 1629–1651
- Philemon Holland MD (Cantab) MA (Oxon), 1628–1629
- James Cranford, 1611–1627
- Jeremiah Arnold, MA (Oxon) MA (Cantab), 1602–1611
- John Tovey MA (Oxon), 1599–1602
- Leonard Cox BA (Cantab) MA (Oxon), 1572–1599
- Thomas Sherwyn BA (Oxon)
Famous Old Coventrians
- Philip Larkin, poet
- Debee Ashby, glamour model
- Terence Brain, Bishop of Salford
- Richard Baylie, President of St John's College, Oxford
- Paul Barnes, graphic designer and typographer
- Ralph Bathurst, Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University
- Colin Blakemore, author and scientist
- Nicholas Bullen, musician, composer and writer, co-founder of Napalm Death
- Joseph Butterworth, English law bookseller
- Bob Carlton, composer of the rock musical Return to the Forbidden Planet
- Andrew Copson, Chief Executive of the British Humanist Association and president of the International Humanist and Ethical Union
- Edward Thomas Copson, mathematician
- Jerry Dammers, Musician. Founder Member of The Specials
- Peter Ho Davies, author
- Paul Daniel, conductor
- Sir William Dugdale, antiquary
- David Duckham, England international rugby player
- Lieutenant-Colonel Stanley Edwards MC Tank commander.
- Jackie Fisher, 1st Baron Fisher, admiral in the Royal Navy
- Sir Frederick Gibberd, architect of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral
- Sir Leslie Gibson, KC, former Chief Justice of Trinidad, Palestine and Hong Kong
- Andy Goode, rugby player
- James Grindal, rugby player
- Roger Harrabin – BBC journalist and reporter
- Basil Heatley, marathon runner
- Ian Hobson, pianist
- Martin Jacques, journalist, writer and TV presenter
- John Wilfrid Linnett, chemist and Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University
- Christopher Marshall (doctor), Professor of Cancer Biology, Institute of Cancer Research.
- David McCutchion, Indophile academic
- Eric Malpass, novelist
- Laura Moore, Candidate on BBC TV Series: The Apprentice
- Arthur Samuel Peake, theologian and biblical scholar
- S. S. Prawer, Taylor Professor of German Emeritus, Oxford University
- Peter Preece, rugby player
- Professor Rebecca Probert, legal historian
- Peter Rossborough, rugby player
- John Sheepshanks, Bishop of Norwich
- J. B. Steane, teacher, literary scholar and music critic
- Humphrey Wanley, librarian, palaeographer and scholar of Old English
- R. E. S. "Bob" Wyatt, cricketer
- Peter Whittingham, football player (Aston Villa FC, Cardiff City FC and England U21)
- Other schools named for King Henry VIII
- "Fees/Finances on www.kinghenrys.co.uk". kinghenrys.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Scholarships & Bursaries". kinghenrys.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Duck, Alison. "Debbie's all set to be a model mum; Couple's baby delight". Coventry Evening Telegraph. Retrieved 1 December 2007.
- "Lieutenant-Colonel Stanley Edwards". Daily Telegraph. 7 July 2010. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to King Henry VIII School, Coventry.|
- Official website of King Henry VIII School
- Profile on the ISC website
- Coventry School Foundation
- Review at schoolsguidebook.co.uk