Grace Academy, Coventry
|Principal||Mr Colin Boxall|
Coordinates: 52°26′17″N 1°26′45″W / 52.43817°N 1.44582°W
|Local authority||Coventry City Council|
|DfE URN||135335 Tables|
|Houses||Aylward College, Tyndale College, Newton College, Wilberforce College, Livingstone College|
|Website||Grace Academy (Coventry)|
Grace Academy is a mixed secondary school located in Coventry, England. It has an expanding sixth form which is part of the North East Federation. It was formerly Woodway Park School and Community College, and was converted into an Academy on 31 August 2008 using the same buildings, prior to housing the new academy in new buildings on 24 February 2010
The academy is operated by Grace Foundation, a registered charity founded by Bob Edmiston, entrepreneur and founder of the evangelical international charity Christian Vision, who is a Governor of Grace Academy. According to its Annual Report and Financial Statements to August 2012, the Coventry school received annual government funding of £5,898,000.
On 20 August 2013 the school was among those named by The Independent newspaper and the British Humanist Association as adopting a policy similar in wording to the repealed anti-gay legislation Section 28.
In October 2013, a letter from Lord Nash showed that early access results were below the minimal standard with only 32% of pupils achieving 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English and Mathematics –an 18% drop from 2012. An external education advisor criticised the quality of both teaching and pupil assessment.
In March 2014 the school was rated by Ofsted as inadequate and placed into special measures, but the OFSTED report of November 2014 stated that the school was not making enough progress towards removal of special measures. In March 2016 the school was moved out of special measures.
- "Woodway Park School and Community College". Shine. Retrieved 12 January 2008.
- "Adjudicator publishes decision on proposal to modify the implementation date for closure of Woodway Park School & community college, Coventry". Government News Network. 17 July 2007. Retrieved 12 January 2008.
- Schools Adjudicator: Alan Parker (16 July 2007). "To vary the implementation date of a previous decision to close Woodway Park School". Retrieved 12 January 2008.
- Charity Commission. 1117366 Grace Academy Coventry, registered charity no. 1117366 Check
- Nigel Morris (20 August 2013). "The return of Section 28: Schools and academies practising homophobic policy that was outlawed under Tony Blair". The Independent. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Pre-Warning Notice Letter to the Grace Academy Foundation in relation to the Grace Academy Foundation, Coventry" (PDF). 17 October 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Coventry Grace Academy branded 'inadequate' by Ofsted". BBC News. BBC. 19 March 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- "Coventry Grace Academy moved out of special measures". BBC News. Retrieved 5 March 2016.