Church of St. George, Lukovo

Church of St. George / Lukovo Church
Basic information
Location Lukovo,  Serbia
Affiliation Serbian Orthodoxy
Leadership Serbian Orthodox Church
Architectural description
Completed 1282-1321 (original)
2002 (renovation)

The Church of St. George, also known as the Lukovo Church, is a Serbian Orthodox church in the village of Lukovo, southern Serbia. It was built during the reign of king Milutin (1282-1321) near mines of lead, copper and gold. It was damaged in the end of the 14th century and reconstructed in 1871, destroyed again in 1871 and rebuilt 1895. It is located on Nenad's Stone (a hill 975 m above sea level) at the eastern slopes of Kopaonik. According to legend, Saint Sava raised a wooden cross on Nenad's Stone and declared it holy.[1]


This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 8/28/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.