Basilica of Our Lady Help of Christians, Turin
|Basilica of Our Lady Help of Christians|
Basilica of Our Lady Help of Christians
|45°04′51″N 7°40′33″E / 45.0809°N 7.6759°ECoordinates: 45°04′51″N 7°40′33″E / 45.0809°N 7.6759°E|
|Authorising papal bull||9/06/1868|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Turin|
The Basilica of Our Lady Help of Christians (Italian: Basilica di Santa Maria Ausiliatrice) is a church in Turin, northern Italy. Originally part of the home for poor boys founded by John Bosco, it now contains the remains of Bosco, and 6,000 relics of other saints.
The basilica enshrines an image of the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title Our Lady Help of Christians. Pope Leo XIII granted a Canonical coronation to the painted image on 17 May 1903 via his Papal legate, Cardnal Agostino Richelmy.
In addition, the church housing Bosco's relics was conceived by Antonio Spezia and built in 1865-1868 by Carlo Buzzetti (one of the first boys of the Oratory). The consecration took place in 1868.
According to legend, a vision of the Virgin Mary appeared in a dream to John Bosco in 1844 or 1845 and revealed the site of the martyrdom of the Turinese saints Solutor, Adventor and Octavius. The Basilica dell'Ausiliatrice was built on the site of their death. The church houses the relics of these saints.
- (editor) G. Cotichella (2015), Guida ai luoghi di don Bosco, Torino: Editrice ELLEDICI, p. 73, ISBN 978-88-01-05721-8
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-05-03. Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- San Solutore
- SALESIANI DON BOSCO-SDB/ Casa Madre TORINO-VALDOCCO / Santuario-Basilica Maria Ausiliatrice - 3
|Part of a series on the|
of the Catholic Church
- Short history of the sanctuary (Italian)