Chapel of the Holy Shroud
|Chapel of the Holy Shroud |
Cappella della Sacra Sindone (Italian)
Interior of the chapel.
|Geographic coordinates||45°04′24″N 7°41′08″E / 45.07332°N 7.685435°ECoordinates: 45°04′24″N 7°41′08″E / 45.07332°N 7.685435°E|
|District||Diocese of Turin|
The Chapel of the Holy Shroud (Italian: Cappella della Sacra Sindone) is a Baroque-style Roman Catholic chapel in Turin in northern Italy. Located outside the Turin Cathedral and connected to the Royal Palace of Turin, the chapel was designed by the architect Guarino Guarini and built at the end of the 17th century (1668–94), during the reign of Charles Emmanuel II, Duke of Savoy. The chapel was constructed to house the Shroud of Turin (Sindone di Torino), a religious relic believed by many to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth.