Turin National University Library
The National University Library (Biblioteca nazionale universitaria in Italian) in Turin, Italy, is one of the country's main libraries.
It was founded in 1720 as the Royal University Library by Victor Amadeus II, who unified collections from the library of the University of Turin and from the library of the Dukes of Savoy. It was renamed as the National Library in 1872, after Italian unification.
In 1904 a fire destroyed thousands of books and manuscripts from the library. Expertise gained from recovering from the fire was used to train restorers like Erminia Cuadana.
The library was also bombed in December 1942.
At present time it owns over 763,833 books, 1,095 periodicals and 1,600 incunabula.
- ↑ LOST MEMORY - LIBRARIES AND ARCHIVES DESTROYED IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY ( http://www.webcitation.org/69rt7I98e. Missing or empty
- ↑ "Incendio del 1904". Biblioteca nazionale universitaria di Torino. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- ↑ When Memory Turns into Ashes... Memoricide During the XX Century ( http://www.webcitation.org/61KfWOtEW. Missing or empty
- ↑ Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività culturali - Ufficio Statistica - Anno 2011
- G. Ratti, Dal libro alla biblioteca. Le biblioteche pubbliche, Alessandria, Dell'Orso, 1993.
Coordinates: 45°4′6.20″N 7°41′12.92″E / 45.0683889°N 7.6869222°E