Congregation of Saint Michael the Archangel
The Congregation of Saint Michael the Archangel (CSMA), in Latin Congregatio Sancti Michaëlis Archangeli and also known as the Michaelite Fathers, is a religious institute of the Roman Catholic Church founded in 1897 by the Blessed Father Bronisław Markiewicz, a Polish priest from Miejsce Piastowe, Poland. The Congregation of Saint Michael the Archangel is one of the 30 officially recognized groups of the Salesian Family of Don Bosco.
On September 29, 1921, the Bishop of Krakow Adam Stefan Sapieha issued the Erecting Decree of the Congregation. On 15 June 1966, the Congregation was affirmed under papal law. It was recognized by Pope Paul VI on June 15, 1966.
The Michaelites today
Headquartered in the suburbs of Warsaw(52°21′42″N 21°8′15.5″E / 52.36167°N 21.137639°ECoordinates: 52°21′42″N 21°8′15.5″E / 52.36167°N 21.137639°E), the congregation now operates in a number of countries around the world including Argentina, Paraguay, Italy, Germany, Belarus, Papua New Guinea, Australia, Austria, Canada and the USA. At the end of 2010, the congregation had 27 communities and 346 members, including 262 priests.
Their apostolic activity concentrates on the education of children and youths.
In 2012, the Michaelites expanded into the United States, taking custody of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish in Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Congregation of Saint Michael the Archangel.|
- Official website of the Michaelite Fathers