|Coordinates: 46°58′N 26°24′E / 46.97°N 26.4°ECoordinates: 46°58′N 26°24′E / 46.97°N 26.4°E|
|• Total||5,896 km2 (2,276 sq mi)|
|• Density||97/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 233 or (+40) 333|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-NT|
In 2011, it had a population of 452,900 and a population density of 76.81/km².
This county has an area of 5,896 km².
The relief decreases from west to east. In the western part, there are mountains, the Eastern Carpathians, with heights of over 1800m and the impressive peak of Mount Ceahlău. Along the Bicaz River lies the canyon of Cheile Bicazului. Construction of the Bicaz Dam in the 1950s on the Bistrița River led to the formation of the Lake Bicaz (Lake Izvorul Muntelui), Romania's largest artificial lake.
On the western side, the lowest point, at about 160m, is found along Siret River's valley.
- Iași County and Vaslui County in the East.
- Harghita County in the West.
- Suceava County in the North.
- Bacău County in the South.
County's main industries:
- Chemical industry;
- Mechanical parts;
- Food stuffs;
- Construction materials.
One of the greatest dams in Romania, the Bicaz Dam is built along the Bistrița River, forming the Bicaz Lake; the water of the lake is used for electricity production at Bicaz-Stejaru Hydroelectric Power Station.
Neamț county is known as the region with the most monasteries to be found per square kilometer in the world. The monumental church of Neamț Monastery has been a model for Moldavian churches and monasteries. The Moldavian art style, of great originality and stylistic unity, was developed by blending Gothic elements with Byzantine motifs.
County's main tourist attractions include
- The city of Piatra Neamț, with its medieval square and ski facilities;
- The city of Roman
- Vânători-Neamț Natural Park
- Neamț Citadel in Târgu Neamț
- Ceahlău National Park
- Bicaz Canyon - "Cheile Bicazului"
- Durău Ski Resort
- Hanu Ancuței
The Neamț County Council, elected at the 2016 local government elections, is made up of 35 counselors, with the following party composition:
|Party||Seats||Current County Council|
|PSD-UNPR Electoral Alliance||17|
|National Liberal Party||14|
|Alliance of Liberals and Democrats||2|
|People's Movement Party||2|
Neamț County has 2 municipalities, 3 towns and 78 communes
- Alexandru cel Bun
- Bicazu Ardelean
- Dumbrava Roșie
- Ion Creangă
- Piatra Șoimului
- Poiana Teiului
- Ștefan cel Mare
- Valea Ursului
- Sergiu Celibidache, conductor
- Vasile Conta, philosopher
- Ion Creangă, writer
- Virgil Gheorghiu, writer
- Ștefan Macovei, contemporary sculptor
- Nicodim Munteanu, patriarch
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neamț County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"
- National Institute of Statistics, Geography, meteorology and environment, 2006
- "Mandate de CJ pe judete si competitori" (in Romanian). Biroul Electoral Central. 10 June 2016. Retrieved 16 June 2016.