|• Total||5,498 km2 (2,123 sq mi)|
|• Density||76/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 249 or (+40) 349|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-OT|
Olt (Romanian pronunciation: [olt]) is a county (județ) of Romania on the border with Bulgaria, in the historical regions of Oltenia and Muntenia (the regions are separated by the Olt river). The capital city is Slatina.
In 2011, it had a population of 415,530 and the population density was 75.57/km².
The county is a mainly rural one, with over 60% of the population living in villages.
This county has a total area of 5,498 km².
The county lies in a flat area on the Western part of the Romanian Plain. It is crossed by rivers from North to South, the main one - the Olt River giving the county its name. The Danube forms a wide valley in the South, with lots of ponds and small channels, which are flooded from time to time.
- Teleorman County to the East.
- Dolj County to the West.
- Argeș County and Vâlcea County to the North.
- Bulgaria to the South - Vratsa Province and Pleven Province.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Metallurgy - aluminium and aluminium components.
- Railway equipment.
- Food and beverages industry.
- Textile industry.
- Mechanical components industry.
Agriculture is the main occupation in the county - over 58% of the population having agriculture as their main occupation. Both extensive agriculture, and small scale, vegetables and fruits, are practiced. The area is well suited for irrigations.
The main destinations for tourists are:
- The city of Slatina.
- Fishing on the Danube and on the Olt River.
- City of Corabia with an ancient Roman citadel, a large orthodox cathedral, Danube sunbathes, sailing and fishing.
- The town of Scornicești - the birthplace of Nicolae Ceaușescu.
The Olt County Council, elected at the 2016 local government elections, is made up of 33 counselors, with the following party composition:
|Party||Seats||Current County Council|
|Social Democratic Party||19|
|National Liberal Party||9|
|Alliance of Liberals and Democrats||3|
|People's Movement Party||2|
Olt County has 2 municipalities, 6 towns and 104 communes:
- Gura Padinii
- Iancu Jianu
- Nicolae Titulescu
- Osica de Sus
- Osica de Jos
- Ștefan cel Mare
- Tia Mare
- Valea Mare
- Vișina Nouă
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Olt County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"
- "Mandate de CJ pe judete si competitori" (in Romanian). Biroul Electoral Central. 10 June 2016. Retrieved 16 June 2016.