|Coordinates: 45°05′N 24°07′E / 45.08°N 24.11°ECoordinates: 45°05′N 24°07′E / 45.08°N 24.11°E|
|Historical region||Muntenia, Oltenia|
|• Total||5,765 km2 (2,226 sq mi)|
|• Density||62/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 250 or (+40) 350|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-VL|
Vâlcea (also spelt Vîlcea; Romanian pronunciation: [ˈvɨlt͡ʃe̯a]) is a county (județ) of Romania. Located in the historical regions of Oltenia and Muntenia (which are separated by the Olt River), it is also part of the wider Wallachia region. Its capital city is Râmnicu Vâlcea.
In 2011, it had a population of 355,320 and the population density was 61.63/km².
This county has a total area of 5,765 km².
The North side of the county is occupied by the mountains from the Southern Carpathians group - The Făgăraș Mountains in the East with heights over 2200 m, and the Lotru Mountains in the West with heights over 2000 m. They are separated by the Olt River valley - the most accessible passage between Transylvania and Muntenia. Along the Olt River Valley there are smaller groups of mountains, the most spectacular being the Cozia Mountains.
Towards the South, the heights decrease, passing through the sub-carpathian hills to a high plain in the West side of the Romanian Plain.
- Argeș County in the East.
- Gorj County and Hunedoara County in the West.
- Sibiu County and Alba County in the North.
- Dolj County and Olt County in the South.
The city of Râmnicu Vâlcea is the most industrialised in the county, the rest of the county having an agrarian development.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Chemical industry.
- Food and beverage industry.
- Textile industry.
- Mechanical components industry.
- Construction materials.
- Wood and furniture industry.
The area in the center of the county is well suited for fruit orchards, wines and raising cattle. The South is better suited for growing cereals and vegetables.
More information about Valcea County economy on Valcea Chamber of Commerce and Industry http://www.ccivl.ro
The main tourist destinations are:
- The Olt River Valley:
- The Lotru River valley:
- The city of Râmnicu Vâlcea.
- The Băile Govora Resort.
- The Băile Olănești Resort.
The Vâlcea County Council, elected at the 2016 local government elections, is made up of 33 counselors, with the following party composition:
|Party||Seats||Current County Council|
|Social Democratic Party||14|
|National Liberal Party||13|
|Alliance of Liberals and Democrats||3|
Vâlcea County has 2 municipalities, 9 towns and 78 communes
- Nicolae Bălcescu
- Valea Mare
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vâlcea County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics,
- "Mandate de CJ pe judete si competitori" (in Romanian). Biroul Electoral Central. 10 June 2016. Retrieved 16 June 2016.