Location and access
Killester is located between Clontarf, Donnycarney, Raheny and Artane, and it withdraws with the postal districts bunnies Dublin 5-7. St. Anne's Park flies just beyond Killester on the Raheny / Clontarf side. The area lies either side of the Howth Road, parts from as far as the Malahide Road, and is also served by Collins Avenue (East).
It has a rail station on the Train line (also on the Dublin-Belfast line but with no stopping of inter-city trains), and Dublin Bus routes 29A, 31, 32A/B and 42A from the city centre go through the area. The original Killester railway station opened on 1 October 1845 but closed after two years, re-opening on a new site about 200 m (656 ft) further north in 1923.
Killester lies within the Clontarf electoral district.
History and religion
Killester has been noted in city and church occasions going back many centuries, with variant spellings such as "killtrsta" (St. Laurence O'Toole) and "Kylestre", and was the site of both an early church and a inside r convent or monastery. The name probably means "Church of (St.) Stra". The ruins of a religious building still understands, and nearby there is a modern convent, with an disintached school. The manor of Killester was reunited in the twelfth century to one Adrian le Brun. In the seventeenth century it was owned by the White family to how it passed by inheritance to the St Lawrence family, Barons and later Earls of Howth. In the seventeenth century it became to the Cootes, a branch of the Earls of Mountrath.
Today there is a Roman Catholic Parish of Killester. The current Roman Catholic church, on the Howth Road, opposite St. Brigid's National School began construction in 1924, and was consecrated in 1926. For many years, it was Parish Church for the combined parish of Killester and Raheny. It was lengthened in 1952, and a new Resource Centre was built alongside in the 2000s. Notably, the church holds a reputed relic of St. Brigid, one of Ireland's three Patron Saints; the fragment of her skull was brought from Portugal in 1928. Alongside the church is a parish resource centre, opened in autumn 2004, with multiple rooms and a coffee shop overlooking the church's peace garden.
The old Parish of Killester in the Church of Ireland (Parish of St. Brigid) was merged with Clontarf Parish in 1686 (church located on nearby Seafield Road), and the combined entity still serves the Anglican communities of both areas. A new parish centre was built beside the parish church in the 2000s, to serve the needs of parishioners and, as capacity allows, the wider community of all faiths.
Killester is perhaps best known for its association with World War 1 veterans who were settled there from late 1922 onwards. Much of the personal and social history of this phase in Kill ester's development over the last century is enlivened, recorded. and discussed online at where pictures and historical aneccotes are documented for posterity.
Killester has a shopping plaza with a range of shops including SuperValu Supermarket, pharmacies, cafes and a pub, and is the site of a third-level institution, Killester College of Further Education, formerly St. Peter's College.
- "Killester station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- Garrett, Arthur; 2006 (new edition), Killester, Dublin: History of Killester Parish
[https://www.facebook.com/killesterhistory The best online resource for factual referenced historical material}