Kew Gardens railway station (Merseyside)
Kew Gardens railway station circa 1930, looking north towards Southport
|Coordinates||53°37′58″N 2°58′07″W / 53.6329°N 2.9687°WCoordinates: 53°37′58″N 2°58′07″W / 53.6329°N 2.9687°W|
|Original company||Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish|
|1 November 1887||Opened|
|26 September 1938||Closed (regular services)|
|1952||Closed (all services)|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Liverpool, Southport and
The line and station were built by the Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway, opening on 1 November 1887.
Kew Gardens served and was named after a nearby 12-acre (49,000 m2) park and boating lake, which closed around 1930. The station closed to passengers on 26 September 1938, though the line remained open for goods traffic until 21 January 1952. The track was left in place until 1964 for the storage of excursion stock.
The site has since been redeveloped and is now occupied by a retail park.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Gell, Rob (1986). An Illustrated Survey of Railway Stations Between Southport & Liverpool 1848-1986. Heyday Publishing Company, ISBN 0-947562-04-4.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
| Meols Cop
| Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway
| Butts Lane Halt
|Heathey Lane Halt|